The Need for After-School Programs
With schools facing cuts in education and resources – coupled with the fact that one in four students in the U.S. is unsupervised between 3pm and 6pm – there’s never been a more important time to advance the after-school agenda and help narrow the education gap.
- More than 15 million school-age children (26 percent) are on their own after school. Among them are more than 1 million in grades K-5. (Afterschool Alliance, 2009)
- Only 8.4 million K-12 children (15 percent) participate in after-school programs. An additional 18.5 million would participate if a quality program were available in their community. (Afterschool Alliance, 2009)
- Youth who attend after-school are known to perform better academically and develop skills such as self-regulation, communication, problem solving, team building, negotiation and critical thinking. (Afterschool Alliance, “After-school Programs: Making a Difference in America’s Communities by Improving Academic Achievement, Keeping Kids Safe and Helping Working Families” 2009 April)
After-School Programs at the Y
- After-school programming at the Y provides children and teens with a safe and nurturing environment around caring adult role models. Combining play with academics, the Y’s after-school program promotes creativity, a love for learning, social and emotional development, and character building. It also fills gaps in schools and in communities by offering enrichment through arts, music, physical education, sports and nutrition.
- As part of the Y’s focus on youth development, we are committed to nurturing the potential of every child and teen. More than 15 million (15.1) children across the country do not have access to after-school programs, leaving many unsupervised after 3 p.m.* That’s why we are committed to providing quality and affordable after-school programs accessible at thousands of sites nationwide, so that millions of children and teens have the opportunity to learn and grow.
- Outside the public school system, the Y is the largest non-profit provider of after-school programs, with hundreds of Ys nationwide offering a wide variety of enriching after-school environments during the critical hours of 3pm to 6 pm, including academic enrichment, clubs and social programs, health and wellness programs, and youth sports.
- At the Y, we believe all kids deserve the opportunity to discover who they are and what they can achieve. In our after-school programs, millions of youth are cultivating the values, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health and academic achievement.
- At the Y, children and teens have a safe place to go after school to explore the arts, engage in physical activity, learn math and science, and also the importance of engaging in and giving back to their communities.